Monday, September 21, 2015

First Month Being a Pescetarian

General knowledge and my story

Many of my schoolmates often ask me questions pertaining to my new lifestyle and eating habits. They gave me the idea of condensing the most popular questions into this blog, and I hope it can help anyone out there who may have been asking themselves, or others, any of these same questions. 

me cooking fish in Japan at 110lbs two years ago (T_T) # missing it

What are pescetarians?

Pescetarians (also spelled pescaterians) are those who live and eat as vegetarians do, however, they are allowed to consume fish as well as other forms of seafood.

Temptations?

Hell yes. I chose to be this particular type of vegetarianism to help transition myself into becoming a full-fledged vegetarian. Although, living in a house full of meat-eaters who enjoy cooking bacon and eggs each and every morning really tests ones self control. My mother isn't very supportive of me, but my father really makes an effort to make things easier on me and whenever we go out, he always asks me to choose so we both can eat together. School lunch is the biggest obstacle for me. My school's lunch is usually very good and the salad bar is quite limited. All in all, meat is everywhere and it's up to how committed a person is to stand strong.

Why are you doing this to yourself? No bacon?

I know, no bacon (T___T). I am quite insecure about my overall physical being. I am 5'0 at 114lbs (before I became a pescetarian). After doing a lot of research and read reviews online, I heard that eating a bit healthier and avoiding the fatty meats is great. I then took it upon myself to test this theory until the 21st of September (which is tomorrow) to see whether or not I would feel any better. In all honesty, I haven't felt this great in a while. My goal is to be a natural 110lbs, but my dream weight is to be 100 lbs (which will be explained later). 

Are there any side effects or problems?

A few weeks after I changed my diet, I most definitely encountered two significant health problems. The first problem was a skin condition called eczema. My skin was very irritated and itchy. My doctor told me that because of my diet change, I wasn't getting enough fatty acids in my body which in turn dried out my skin. He recommended that I eat at least one egg a day to replenish my body with fats and nutrients. My second side effect was a drop in my immune system. At the beginning I ate fruits literally everyday, but these past couple of weeks I hadn't been eating them and as a result, I wasn't getting enough vitamins.

No comments:

Post a Comment